Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Place to Live

What a week... or has it been three?  It feels like only days since I've seen many of you and yet years since I left Minnesota.  Perhaps working at an institution like Caltech will help me better understand the space/time continuum ;)

House: As stated in my email, I have, in fact, found a place to call my California home.  It's a beautiful Victorian house in the heart of Pasadena that has been divided into a Tri-plex.  I have Unit #2 (bottom lefthand side of the house if you're looking at it from the front) and an awesome husband and wife team as landlord.  It's a little less space for a little more money but I was prepared for that when I left Minnesota.  Storage will be tricky (do people not have Christmas trees/ decorations in California? I mean COME ON people!) but Bev and Lee are driving up from Arizona (with Sheba... YEA!!!) at some point next week and I'm sure between the four of us we'll be able to sort everything out. 

However, now that I have the actual living space my piles-o-stuff that are waiting to be moved from Minnesota are no longer accurate.  I just don't have ROOM for many of the things I thought I would. Luckily, my fabulous friend L. lives a few houses down from Bev & Lee and she was able to swing by and remove the items I will no longer be needing.  Now we wait to see how competent the moving company is. My things are supposed to arrive between March 5 and the 12th.  Seriously?  They can't give ME more than ONE DAY notice of when they're "picking up" but I'm supposed to be okay with not knowing where my stuff is for over a WEEK?! This is the 21st century people. Just tell me how many days it's going to take you to get here and let me PLAN. Sigh. I'm not okay with it but there's nothing I can do at this point so I just have to let go and hope for the best.


The outside of my new house/apartment. This is the westsiderental.com listing so you can see where it's situated in Pasadena (i.e. North end of town right off of the 210 freeway).

Click on the link below to see video footage of Unit #2 as it looked before I moved in. I plan on posting a new video once everything has arrived (both new and old) and it looks like a home.

http://youtu.be/9vGbh8JjhJs

I get the keys (and pay the huge damage deposit/March payment. gulp.) on Thursday and will move in on Friday (March 1st).   Internet guys are coming out on Saturday morning and by Saturday afternoon my new living room set (couch, tables, lamps etc) will be delivered and set up.

Job: Stay tuned next week when I hopefully have more of a grasp as to what the heck my actual JOB is/is going to be ;)  It's a good thing I'm a bull----er by nature. When people at Caltech ask me what I do (as they are prone to do the first week of a new job) I just speak enthusiastically and quickly and make sure I mention the department I work for (i.e. Development) and who my boss is (Amy).  That usually illicits  nods and smiles and then I can escape back to whatever I was trying to do/read/type/learn!  But so far, so good. And while that may not be saying much after only two days at least it's something (and something good in my book)!

Misc: Oh yea... and the weather? Forget about it.  I already have.  Just assume every day is "gorgeous" (by Minnesota standards) and you're good to go.   I love it.  I always did find it strange how much time people back home obsessed about the weather.  I mean, I totally get WHY they do--the weather is crazy-- I just thought it was strange.  I was never one for small talk about weather. It's either good or crappy. Let's move on.

The following picture is of my new Target.  And yes, those are Palm trees.  And yes, that is a Mountain.
My new Target store

In closing, I would like to give a HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout out to a handful of people.  Tons of amazing people were born in the 11 days that span Feb 25th to March 7th.  I hope you're all reading this and know that I'm thinking/talking about YOU ;)

Hugs and Kisses until next time (and keep the emails/comments/texts/fb messages coming. It makes my day to know so many fabulous people out there are thinking about little old me!)

1 comment:

  1. The place looks great...it will be very lovely when all of your things are situated! Congrats on your first official week!!

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete